Matt Coggin, owner of D.B.A. Barbecue in Virginia-Highlands (and the recently opened D.B.A. on Emory’s campus) parks himself in the hot-seat to answer Steak’s 8 off the menu questions.
1. If you could run a dive bar right on the beach anywhere in the world, where would it be, what would be your specialty and what’s the name?
Key West. Kermit’s BBQ. Very small BBQ menu. Pork, chicken, ribs, brisket, 6 sides.
2. The first sign that a table is going to be a stress to deal with is what?
“I’m from (whatever city) and I know real BBQ”
3. I did not eat dinner the night before, it is noon the next day, I am driving through Atlanta starving, where should my car be headed?
4. Food/Restaurant TV show that I try not to miss other than Atlanta Eats…
5. Flying away for a New York city tasting trip, what two local chefs are you bringing along for the ride and why?
Kevin Rathbun (he is a lot of fun)
Joey Masi (Pozole) he loves Italian.
6. The three items I have to have in my kitchen or I will be doomed? (you pick home or restaurant or both).
Pork, salt, brown sugar
8. What is the quickest way for someone that works for you to get on your bad side?
Not ask for help when it is clearly needed.